The scope and terms of reference of the forum will be agreed between forum members, the Chair, and the NFCC Leads for Organisational Learning and Research, but will include:
- Driving improvements in the way fire and rescue services work by considering the latest UK and International research
- Commission academic research to inform improvement in the way fire and rescue services operate.
- Build links and relationships between fire and rescue services and academia
- Supporting service improvement by identifying opportunities to collaborate when developing research requirements
- Help services access funding opportunities for research
- Assist academic institutions to identify areas of research interest
- Help academics develop relationships with fire and rescue
The Chair will:
- Understand the challenges facing fire and rescue services
- Have a passion for intelligence driven decision making based on research
- Understand the academic landscape
- Have a proven history of using research to drive change
- Have experience coordinating the work of multiple stakeholders and identifying opportunities for collaboration
- Be able to use their network across academic institutions and other related research groups to inform and support discussions in the group
It is an exciting time to get involved in national collaboration and improvement and drive transformational change, to meet the risks and demands of communities and improve firefighter safety.
The Chair would work with the NFCC to get the group established and then be accountable for the work identified by the ACER group and ensure it meets its objectives and delivers the defined outputs. They would need to have a passion and commitment to drive change, giving guidance and strategic direction to this cross-cutting area of work, with an understanding of effective service delivery.
It is proposed that the group will meet quarterly to support the work of the NFCC committees and provide information to the NFCC to champion key issues. The anticipated workload would include chairing four forums and attending meetings of other committees as required The NFCC will support as necessary and provide administrative support.