This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

While fire and rescue authorities and the fire and rescue service try to deliver the best service to the public, mistakes do happen.


All complaints should be sent to the fire and rescue authority concerned directly. Details on how to make a complaint varies between fire and rescue authorities but information can be found on each website. Your complaint will be escalated as appropriate.  

If you disagree with the outcome of your complaint, you can contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will only consider certain cases, such as where an authority has not followed the law or has given out misleading information. It is not an appeals body, nor does it consider staff matters such as employment or disciplinary issues.

Alternatively, complaints can be made to the fire and rescue authority’s monitoring officer. The monitoring officer is responsible for reporting anything they think could lead to the law being broken or the public being put at risk. Ask your fire and rescue authority for the name of their monitoring officer.

The Home Office has no role in considering complaints against fire and rescue authorities in England. Only in very rare circumstances would the Home Office become involved, such as where there are serious and persistent complaints or a potential risk to public safety.

Find your local service